You can do it and we’re here to help! Want to meet or beat your fundraising goal? We’ve got all the tips on how to ask for donations, how to spread the word about your efforts and how to make your Walk special!
Thank you for all that you do in support of a future without ALS.
- Make a self-donation: Be the first to donate toward your goal to show your commitment. It’s an easy and visible way to inspire friends and family to join you in supporting the cause! Plus, your supporters are likely to match your donation amount.
- Set your goal: Set a fundraising goal and share your progress with your network along the way. This motivates potential donors to give generously to help you get there.
- The sooner, the better: Have your top supporters kick off your fundraising by asking them to donate early. Your network will be inspired by your early donors’ generosity and are likely to follow suit with a larger donation.
- Ask everyone: Use the email feature on your Fundraising Dashboard or the email templates below in your Fundraising Hub to reach out to all your network – friends, family, coworkers, and more!
- Make it personal: You are participating in the Walk to End ALS for a personal reason. Explain why you’re getting involved so that potential supporters understand your connection to the cause. If they know why you’re doing it, they’re more likely to donate. Personalize your Public Page and emails to tell your story.
- Join or create a team: Forming a team is a great way to stay motivated an share fundraising resources, plus it makes for a great time on Walk day!
- Say thank you: Find out who has donated to you in the View Supporters tab of your Fundraising Dashboard. From there, email and thank each supporter and let them know how their donation has made a difference in the ALS community.
Find answers to all your Walk to End ALS questions. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How many ALS Canada Walk to End ALS events are happening this year?
We are hosting 20 in-person Walks across Ontario. We’re looking forward to building on last year’s success of return to in-person events as we come together to celebrate and honour everyone we love and have lost to this disease, showing support for over 3,000 Canadians and their families living with ALS.
You can check here to see if there is an in-person Walk near you. Don’t see a Walk close to you or prefer to Walk on your own, wherever, whenever you would like? Register for the Virtual Walk and walk your own way with family and friends!
What is a "virtual Walk" and how do I participate?
The Walk to End ALS Virtual location was created so you can participate wherever, whenever you would like! We recommend that you walk during the month of June in honour of Global ALS Awareness month, however you can Walk whenever you works best for you!
Note: If you reside outside of Ontario and would like to participate in the Walk to End ALS and support the National research program, please sign up for the virtual Walk to End ALS. Should you register and be located outside of Ontario, the impact of your donations will immediately be matched through the Brain Canada partnership and 100% of the proceeds will be directed to the ALS Canada National Research Program.
Why isn’t there a Walk in my area? There used to be in previous years, but I don’t see one this year.
ALS Canada decides on where our in-person Walks take place, based on the locations fundraising history and how many participants reside in each location. Each Walk location is required to raise a minimum fundraising goal of $25,000. We continue to re-evaluate our locations every year and encourage you to keep fundraising! Don’t forget that even if there isn’t an in-person Walk in your community, you can still register for the Virtual Walk or attend the next closest Walk near you.
Why are all the Walks at the same time of the year?
ALS Canada made the decision to host all Walk events in June for a few reasons:
- June is Global ALS Awareness Month – This is a time of year when our community comes together to raise awareness and advocate for everyone we love and have lost to ALS and over 3,000 Canadians and their families living with ALS.
- Rallying together – Aligning all our Walks in the same month sends a strong and powerful message not only across the province but also globally– ALS doesn’t stop and neither do we.
- Momentum – Celebrating the success of all of our Walks in Ontario at the same time keeps our fundraising momentum going. Let’s get fundraising and making a difference within our community!
Will there be a Silent Auction at my Walk?
The ALS Canada Walk to End ALS Silent Auction will be hosted online this year, and information will be available closer to June.
Will food and beverages be provided on the day of my Walk?
Pre-packaged snacks and drinks (water, juice, etc.) will be available at each Walk to End ALS event for all participants. Information about food and beverages for each Walk location will be provided to you closer to the date of your Walk.
Many of my friends and family want to donate but they are experiencing financial difficulties due to COVID-19. How can they support if they are unable to make a donation?
If your family and friends are not able to donate this year, they can do their part in raising awareness by sharing our posts on social media, spreading the word with their network about this cause or donating an item to a local silent auction.
I don't want to register online. Can I still fundraise and participate in the Walk to End ALS?
Although we are encouraging our community to support us in hosting a cashless events, keeping our participants, staff and volunteers as safe as possible, you can print the donation form here, filling out all of your registration information and pledged donations. Please be sure to mail cheques and cash ahead of time, prior to your event to:
ALS Society of Canada
393 University Ave #1701
Toronto, ON M5G 1E6
Here are a few tips for collecting money safely in your community:
- I Owe You: Your supporters can pledge their donation and pay you back later. Add their donation to your pledge form, write your cheque for the full amount pledged by your supporters and mail it to ALS Canada
- Schedule a drop-off: Your supporters can drop off a sealed envelope with their cash or cheques in your mailbox. Add their donation to your pledge form and include cheques or cash when you mail your envelope to ALS Canada, using your prepaid envelope.
Do-It-Yourself/DIY: Your supporters can donate to ALS Canada directly with a note to add it to your fundraising total (make sure they add your name to the note). They can mail their donation to ALS Society of Canada, 393 University Ave #1701 Toronto, ON M5G 1E6 or they can call our Donor Services team at 1-800-267-4257 ext. 229.
I have registered for the Walk to End ALS in the past. How come I can’t login with my existing information?
We’re excited to share that our 2023 Walk to End ALS has launched a fresh, new website! Every participant – new and past – must login and register on the new platform. This means you’ll create a new username and password and you’ll be able to recruit family and friends through your Campaign HQ (previously Fundraising Dashboard). We hope you’re as excited as we are about this update and are here to support you if you have any questions along the way.
Where can I go to find information for donors who have donated to my page and my team in past Walk to End ALS events?
If you’re looking for a list of friends and family who have donated to you in the past to reach out to again this year, you can send us an e-mail at email@example.com and we’d be happy to send you this information!
Does the Walk to End ALS have rewards for reaching certain fundraising levels?
You can earn awesome Walk to End ALS branded swag as you fundraise. Our rewards items start at the $300 level (for individual fundraisers). Click here to view the different Walk swag available
The cut-off date to fundraise and receive fundraising rewards is Wednesday, July 12th, 2023. You will have an option to redeem your fundraising reward(s) or donate this back to ALS Canada.
Thank you in advance for your support in fundraising towards a future without ALS!
What is the fundraising goal for the Walk to End ALS?
The Walk to End ALS fundraising goal for Ontario is $1.9 million. Our 2021 and 2022 events raised $1.7 million each year, which speaks to the passion and commitment of all our Walk volunteers, donors, sponsors and participants. As we continue our in-person events, we need your continued support and can’t wait to see all you’ll accomplish!
We know how important the Walk to End ALS is to people affected by ALS. It’s more than just a fundraiser – it builds community and connects people. We are committed to honouring this experience and creating an opportunity for the ALS community come together to show their support. It’s your Walk, your way!
To support you, we have put together some fun activities and ideas to keep connected:
- Chalk Your Walk: get outside and use sidewalk chalk to show your neighbours that you’re still doing the Walk to End ALS.
- Photo booth: print out our photo booth props, and use them in a selfie about why you walk. Don’t forget to tag us at @ALSCanada when you share on social media!
- Throw-back: share a photo of your favourite Walk memory- post on your front window for passersby or on social media and tag us @alscanada
- ALS Canada colouring pages: download and print out our Walk to End ALS colouring pages. Take a pic of your coloured masterpieces and share on social — don’t forget to tag us at @alscanada!
- DIY Door Hanger: download stencils to decorate your own door hanger and have fun with the whole family
- Car Parade: Invite your team to decorate their windows, make signs for the car, top up with decorations like balloons, streamers and do a car parade around town