You can do it and we’re here to help! Want to meet or beat your fundraising goal? We’ve got all the tips on how to ask for donations, how to spread the word about your efforts and how to make your Walk special!
Thank you for all that you do in support of a future without ALS.
- Make a self-donation: Be the first to donate toward your goal to show your commitment. It’s an easy and visible way to inspire friends and family to join you in supporting the cause! Plus, your supporters are likely to match your donation amount.
- Set your goal: Set a fundraising goal and share your progress with your network along the way. This motivates potential donors to give generously to help you get there.
- The sooner, the better: Have your top supporters kick off your fundraising by asking them to donate early. Your network will be inspired by your early donors’ generosity and are likely to follow suit with a larger donation.
- Ask everyone: Use the email feature on your Fundraising Dashboard or the email templates below in your Fundraising Hub to reach out to all your network – friends, family, coworkers, and more!
- Make it personal: You are participating in the Walk to End ALS for a personal reason. Explain why you’re getting involved so that potential supporters understand your connection to the cause. If they know why you’re doing it, they’re more likely to donate. Personalize your Public Page and emails to tell your story.
- Join or create a team: Forming a team is a great way to stay motivated an share fundraising resources, plus it makes for a great time on Walk day!
- Say thank you: Find out who has donated to you in the View Supporters tab of your Fundraising Dashboard. From there, email and thank each supporter and let them know how their donation has made a difference in the ALS community.
Find answers to all your Walk to End ALS questions. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, contact us at email@example.com.
Are the in-person Walk to End ALS events happening this year?
Yes! We are hosting 22 in-person Walks across Ontario. After 2 years of being apart, we are excited to be able to finally come together to celebrate and honour everyone we love and have lost to this disease,showing support for over 3,000 Canadians and their families living with ALS.
You can check here to see if there is an in-person Walk near you. Don’t see a Walk close to you or prefer to Walk on your own, wherever, whenever you would like? Register for the Virtual Walk and walk your own way with family and friends!
What is a "virtual Walk" and how do I participate?
The Walk to End ALS Virtual location was created so you can participate wherever, whenever you would like! We recommend that you walk during the month of June in honour of Global ALS Awareness month, however you can Walk whenever you works best for you!
Note: If you reside out of Ontario and would like to participate in the Walk to End ALS and support the National research program, please sign up for the virtual Walk to End ALS. Should you register and be located outside of Ontario, the impact of your donations will immediately be doubled through the Brain Canada partnership and 100% of the proceeds will be directed to the ALS Canada National Research Program.
Why isn’t there a Walk in my area? There used to be in previous years, but I don’t see one this year.
ALS Canada decides on where our in-person Walks take place, based on the locations fundraising history and how many participants reside in each location. Each Walk location is required to raise a minimum fundraising goal of $25,000. We continue to re-evaluate our locations every year and encourage you to keep fundraising! Don’t forget that even if there isn’t an in-person Walk in your community, you can still register for the Virtual Walk or attend the next closest Walk near you.
Why are all the Walks at the same time of the year?
ALS Canada made the decision to host all Walk events in June (or as close to June as possible) for a few reasons:
- June is Global ALS Awareness Month – This is a time of year when our community comes together to raise awareness and advocate for everyone we love and have lost to ALS and over 3,000 Canadians and their families living with ALS.
- Rallying together – Aligning all our Walks in the same month sends a strong and powerful message not only across the province but also globally– ALS doesn’t stop and neither do we.
- Momentum – Celebrating the success of all of our Walks in Ontario at the same time keeps our fundraising momentum going. Let’s get fundraising and making a difference within our community!
What safety precautions are ALS Canada taking to stop the spread of COVID-19 at the in-person Walks?
Please know that we at ALS Canada are making your safety our number one priority and are continuously monitoring the COVID-19 public health recommendations and protocols. To keep our participants safe, ALS Canada will be:
- Distancing our registration tables
- Encouraging physical distancing between participants in line
- Providing sanitizer and wipes
- All food or beverage, if offered at the event, will be pre-packaged
- We will be mailing out fundraising rewards after the Walk events to limit passing out items in person
- We will be encouraging participants to raise money online, limiting the amount of cash handling being done on the day of our Walks
- ALS Canada volunteers and staff will be trained on safety protocols prior to our events
- Staff and volunteers will be encouraged to wear masks when in close vicinity to participants
- We will be limiting any kind of activities at the Walks that involve close contact, such as face-painting
- Our Honour Wall will be hosted online, limiting the amount of people crowding in 1 space and sharing pens
Will there be a Silent Auction at my Walk?
All Silent Auctions will be hosted online this year, and information about each individual Silent Auction will be provided to you closer to the date of your Walk, on the day of your event and on the Walk event page.
Will food and beverages be provided on the day of my Walk?
If your Walk decides to provide food and/or beverages at your event they will be pre-packaged for you to take away, limiting unnecessary food handling for the safety of our volunteers, staff and participants. Information about food and beverages for each Walk location will be provided to you closer to the date of your Walk.
Many of my friends and family want to donate but they are experiencing financial difficulties due to COVID-19. How can they support if they are unable to make a donation?
If your family and friends are not able to donate this year, they can do their part in raising awareness by sharing our posts on social media, spreading the word with their network about this cause or donating an item to a local silent auction.
How do I enter offline funds (cash and cheques) to show on my thermometer?
Login to your fundraising hub, click on the “Manage Cash and Cheques” tab on the left-hand menu , and you can record offline donations from an individual or from an event you’ve hosted. Once these donations are recorded, they will appear on your thermometer. You will still be required to hand these donations in on Walk day, along with a completed donation form to ensure your donations are properly tax receipted.
If you’d rather not hang on to cash donations until Walk day, you can pay for this donation yourself and have the tax receipt directed to your donor. After entering the donation, simply click “pay” and you will be instructed to enter in your own credit card information. As long as you entered in the initial donation with all your donor’s information, they will receive the tax receipt and you can keep the cash after paying online.
Where’s my tax receipt?
When you make a donation online, a tax receipt is automatically issued via email. Please be sure to check your junk or promotions folder if you don’t receive the receipt right away. If you donated via cash or a cheque to a Walk participant, please allow 6-8 weeks after the date of the event for the donation to be receipted.
If you need a duplicate or corrected tax receipt, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I donate online to a participant or team of the Walk to End ALS?
To donate to a participant or team, visit www.walktoendals.ca/ontario and select the “Search Individuals/Teams” button Search for the person’s name or team name. Once you are redirected to their page, select “Donate Now” and follow the steps to complete the transaction.
Can I make a general donation (not to a participant) to the Walk to End ALS?
Yes, you can. You can visit www.walktoendals.ca/ontario, and select “Make a General Donation” on the homepage.
What’s the difference between donating to someone’s team and donating on their personal page?
If you can’t pick just one team member to donate to, you can donate overall to a Walk to End ALS team. All individual donations will be reflected in a team’s total.
Only donations to a specific individual will be tallied to determine a participant’s fundraising reward level.
Can I make my donation anonymously or listed under a nickname?
Absolutely! During the donation process, be sure to uncheck the box that says “Display my name on the donor listing.” If you’d like your donation to appear under a different name than your billing name, please enter your preferred name as your display name.
If I know a business that would like to be a sponsor, what should I do?
Sponsors are valued partners in the Walk to End ALS events. We offer local, provincial, and national opportunities, and can work with our corporate sponsors to create customized packages that meet their business needs. Please have them reach out to email@example.com to connect with our Walk to End ALS support team and learn more about our awesome sponsorship opportunities!
Why should I register/fundraise online?
Online registration is fast and easy, unlocks lots of tools and resources to support your fundraising efforts. You can register here.
By registering and fundraising online, you will be able to invite your friends and family to join your team and you’ll be able to see your collective progress you’re making towards your goal
How do I register online?
Head to www.walktoendals.ca/ontario and click on the Walk location you’d like to register for. You’ll be prompted to select your registration type and enter in your contact information. Once you receive an email confirming your registration, you’re ready to start fundraising!
I don't want to register online. Can I still fundraise and participate in the Walk to End ALS?
Although we are encouraging our community to support us in hosting a cashless events, keeping our participants, staff and volunteers as safe as possible, you can print the donation form here, filling out all of your registration information and pledged donations. Please be sure to mail cheques and cash ahead of time, prior to your event to:
ALS Society of Canada
393 University Ave #1701
Toronto, ON M5G 1E6
Here are a few tips for collecting money safely in your community:
- I Owe You: Your supporters can pledge their donation and pay you back later. Add their donation to your pledge form, write your cheque for the full amount pledged by your supporters and mail it to ALS Canada
- Schedule a drop-off: Your supporters can drop off a sealed envelope with their cash or cheques in your mailbox. Add their donation to your pledge form and include cheques or cash when you mail your envelope to ALS Canada, using your prepaid envelope.
- Do-It-Yourself/DIY: Your supporters can donate to ALS Canada directly with a note to add it to your fundraising total (make sure they add your name to the note). They can mail their donation to ALS Society of Canada, 393 University Ave #1701 Toronto, ON M5G 1E6 or they can call our Donor Services team at 1-800-267-4257 ext. 229.
What if I forgot my username or password?
Visit www.walktoendals.ca/ontario, click the “Register/Sign In” button, and click on “Forgot your username or password?” Follow the steps provided to reset your username or password.
What is a custom web address?
During the registration process, you have the option to create a quick and easy URL (web address) to send donors directly to your personal fundraising page. Simply enter your name or your team name in the box provided during registration. Since this is a web address, you cannot use punctuation or spaces when entering your name or team name, but you can use hyphens. For example: www.walktoendals.ca/jenwalkstoendals OR www.walktoendals.ca/jen-walks-to-end-als.
Please note this URL cannot be changed once you are registered.
What is the difference between creating a team, joining a team, and registering as an individual?
If you intend to take part in the Walk with family, friends, or coworkers, we suggest creating a team. If someone you know has already created the team, click on “join a team” and search for the team name in the box provided. If you intend to take part in the Walk alone or do not wish to have a team page, you can register as an individual.
Is there a registration fee or a minimum fundraising amount to participate in the Walk to End ALS?
There’s no registration fee for any of the Walk to End ALS events and everyone is welcome! There is no minimum fundraising amount required. We appreciate any donation amount to support event costs and direct more money towards a future without ALS
How do I customize my public fundraising page with a personal message or photos?
Register or sign in to your fundraising hub. After signing in, you can customize the text and photos that appear on your personal public page. Be sure to click “Save Changes” after updates have been made.
Team Captains, you can update your team’s public page by clicking on “Team” in the left-hand menu to direct you to your team dashboard. You can update your team page text or photos from there.
How do I change my personal fundraising goal or my team’s fundraising goal?
Register or sign in to your fundraising hub. After signing in, you can change your goal through the fundraising dashboard.
Team Captains, you can change your team goal by clicking on “Team” on the left-hand menu. This will direct you to your team dashboard and you can change your goal from there.
How do I send emails asking for donations through the fundraising hub?
After signing in, click on the “Ask for Donations” tab on the left-hand menu of your fundraising dashboard. Load an email template – you can either choose from the templates we have created for you or customize your own. Then, you can enter email addresses of the people you want to reach out to in the box provided or click on View/Add Contacts to import from an existing email contact list.
If you choose to customize the email, make sure you click “save” before sending it out – that way it will be there for you next time you choose to send an email.
If you would prefer not to use the Fundraising Hub, email templates are available here for you to copy/paste so you can use your preferred email account.
How do I thank my donors through the fundraising hub?
After signing in, click on the “View Supporters” tab on the left-hand menu to view a list of your supporters. To send out a thank you email, click on “Thank your supporters” to select recipients and edit the text of your thank you email.
If you would prefer not to use the Fundraising Hub, email templates are available here for you to copy/paste so you can use your preferred email account.
I'm a team captain. How do I email my team?
You can send an email to your whole team through the fundraising hub. Click on “Team”, and then select “Email Your Team” from the left-hand menu.
If you would prefer not to use the Fundraising Hub, email templates are available here for you to copy/paste so you can use your preferred email account
How do I get more donation forms?
Download and print out a donation form to record offline donations you’ve collected.
Does the Walk to End ALS have rewards for reaching certain fundraising levels?
We have brought back our fundraising rewards program so you can earn awesome Walk to End ALS branded swag as you fundraise. Click here to view the different Walk swag available.
The cut-off date to fundraise and receive fundraising rewards is Wednesday, July 13th, 2022. You will have an option to redeem your fundraising reward(s)or donate this back to ALS Canada.
Thank you in advance for your support in fundraising towards a future without ALS!
What is the fundraising goal for the Walk to End ALS?
The Walk to End ALS fundraising goal for Ontario is $1.9 million. Our 2020 and 2021 virtual events raised $1.25 million and $1.7 million, which speaks to the passion and commitment of all our Walk volunteers, donors, sponsors and participants. As we return to in-person events, we need your continued support and can’t wait to see all you’ll accomplish!
Will ALS Canada be enforcing social distancing at the Walks?
ALS Canada will have volunteers providing direction to participants in high-traffic areas to encourage physical distancing, such as registration and the start line.
Will ALS Canada be enforcing Proof of Vaccination for participants?
No. Following the guidelines of the Ontario Government, we will not be enforcing the requirement to show proof of vaccination for participants.
Will participants have to wear masks at the Walks?
Participants are encouraged to practice hand hygiene, “social distancing” and wear face coverings when indoors or unable to socially distance in crowded areas at the Walk to End ALS event. ALS Canada will be asking volunteers and staff to wear masks while interacting with participants.
Will ALS Canada be conducting contact tracing?
No. Following the guidelines of the Ontario Government, we will not be conducting contact tracing. We encourage anyone who is feeling sick to please stay home on the day of their Walk.
If I feel unwell, what should I do?
We kindly ask that if you do not feel well on the day of your Walk, if you have recently tested positive for COVID-19, or if you have been in contact with someone who has recently tested positive for COVID-19, that you please do not attend the Walk in-person. You are still welcome to participate in our Virtual Walks and walk your own way, on your own time, when it is safe to do so!
What does ALS Canada do?
Founded in 1977, the ALS Society of Canada (ALS Canada) works with the ALS community to improve the lives of people affected by ALS through community-based support services in Ontario, advocacy initiatives and investment in research for a future without ALS. We are a registered charity that receives no government funding – all of our services and research are funded through the generosity of our donors.
What happens with the money that is raised from the Walk?
Your fundraising efforts mean an investment in the most promising ALS research in Canada and in community-based support services for people and families living with ALS in Ontario:
- 40% RESEARCH: 40% of proceeds are directed to the ALS Canada Research Program where they are invested in the best ALS research in Canada awarded annually following a peer-reviewed competition.
- 60% COMMUNITY-BASED SUPPORT: 60% of proceeds help provide community-based support and services to people and families affected by ALS in Ontario. Support varies by province based on the gaps within the healthcare system and can include educational information, referrals to local health care and community services, equipment assistance, home visits and support groups.
We know how important the Walk to End ALS is to people affected by ALS. It’s more than just a fundraiser – it builds community and connects people. We are committed to honouring this experience and creating an opportunity for the ALS community come together to show their support. It’s your Walk, your way!
To support you in physical distancing, we have put together some fun activities and ideas to keep connected:
- Chalk Your Walk: get outside and use sidewalk chalk to show your neighbours that you’re still doing the Walk to End ALS.
- Photo booth: print out our photo booth props, and use them in a selfie about why you walk. Don’t forget to tag us at @ALSCanada when you share on social media!
- Throw-back: share a photo of your favourite Walk memory- post on your front window for passersby or on social media and tag us @alscanada
- Get Groovy: tune into our Walk to End ALS playlist on Spotify
- New! ALS Canada colouring pages: download and print out our Walk to End ALS colouring pages. Take a pic of your coloured masterpieces and share on social — don’t forget to tag us at @alscanada!
- DIY T-shirt: download stencils to decorate your own t-shirts and have fun with the whole family
- Car Parade: Invite your team to decorate their windows, make signs for the car, top up with decorations like balloons, streamers and do a car parade around town